Friday, November 8, 2013

XiCam Tech Issues

I decided to give up on my so called "XiCam" project.  The end goal was to control a digital camera via USB from a laptop or Android tablet.  When I first attached my camera to my notebook, it appeared that the drivers would only treat the camera as a mass-storage device.  When attached to a Windows computer, however, a window pops up asking for permission to install Samsung's Intelli-Studio program, which apparently includes the capability to update new firmware to the attached camera.  This told me two things: 1) There is more information which can be received from the camera than appears from Linux systems and 2) the capability exists to update firmware from a host PC.

However, even if I managed to get the firmware from the camera, there is still no guarantee that I'll be able to understand it once I've disassembled the code.  And even after spending the effort in figuring it out, then I may still not be able to hack it to control exposure time or trigger the camera via USB.  I decided I was better off, for my own sanity, to just buy a different camera when I'm ready to take pictures at that level.

It turns out, without any special settings or using my home made mounting bracket, I can still get decent pictures.  Here's a picture I took of Jupiter this morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment